Sunday, July 7, 2013

Primal Challenge: Day 8

The last two days, I've been at my parents' house for a visit. My parents who live on bread. If I said I wasn't tempted, I would be lying. However, I just revisited the one minute muffin, which I was able to use as a bread replacement for my hamburgers. I brought my pumpkin pancakes with me for breakfasts. And I had ham rolls for lunch. No problem!

I also attended a family reunion. It was definitely filled with temptation. Luckily, the main meat was pulled pork. I knew this going in, so I made a one minute muffin to take along so I could make a sandwich. Planning ahead is rather vital to success when you're eating stuff that isn't SAD fare, isn't it? I also brought watermelon as my contribution, knowing that I would have at least two things I could eat. I ended up having the pulled pork sandwich, watermelon, grapes, sautéed zucchini, and I did cheat a little and had some of my mom's baked beans (like 1/4 cup, if that).

At the reunion, I had to field a lot of questions. Why did I have weird bread in a bag? Why can't I just have a hamburger bun? Why no delicious coconut pudding dessert or cakes? Why no soda? Why no chips? What is this paleo diet thing anyway? You can't have legumes? Ugh.

To top it all off, we won a door prize. Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge cake mix with frosting and sprinkles. Also: two pot holders (yay! I needed some more!), cute cupcake liners, and a good sized mixing bowl! On our return home, the Monkey-o-Mine really wanted some chocolate cupcakes, so I whipped together some primal-style: eggs, coconut flour, ground flax, maple syrup, cocoa. He gets "real" frosting, and I'm trying some weird mixture of almond spread and cocoa. We'll see how it tastes after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment