Sunday, June 30, 2013

Whole30 Day One!

Aaaand we're off!

I'm glad Syd posted her meal plan; I like to see what others are doing and get ideas. One of the things the Whole30 program suggests is having three easy dinners planned each week so that when you come home tired and cranky, you won't stop at the Golden Arches. So that's what I've done -- one of my meals will take less than five minutes to make, so I can't use the excuse that fast food is faster than going home because you can spend five minutes in the drive-through.

I've been making meal plans for a long time. They help with weekly shopping, and I don't (usually) overbuy and then have unused food go to waste. My lunches are always leftovers from dinner plus a piece of fruit, and my breakfast is always 3 eggs with some kind of meat (ham, bacon, or sausage). I ran into a problem with ground sausage today, though, because everything I looked at had some kind of sugar in it. So I went with ground pork, and I'll spice it up when I cook it today.

So here's my dinner plan for the week:
tuna and veggie sticks
grilled chicken with sauteed zucchini, broccoli, and snow peas
burgers and smashed sweet potatoes
sauteed sausage with bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and yellow squash
zucchini enchilada boats
crockpot chili
lemon and artichoke chicken (from Practical Paleo)


And now my goals. Whole30 recommends 9 different categories of goals. Here's the explanation of each category, though they've lumped exercise, active recovery, and injury rehab into one group (healthy movement) and added Natural Environment and Socialization. The goal-setting worksheet needs to be updated, so I'm going to use the two new categories (especially since I've got nothing for active recovery or injury rehab.

Nutrition: I will drink water throughout the day instead of waiting till I'm dehydrated.

Sleep: I will turn off electronic devices 30 minutes before bed (with the exception of phone calls from my husband).

Stress Management: I got nothin.

Healthy Movement: I will take a 30-minute walk three times a week (outside my normal activity).

Natural Environment: My 30 minute walks will be outside.

Socialization: This one's tough. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to set a goal for, so I'm going to skip this one.

Fun and Play: I will go to two new places this month.

Personal Growth: I will journal daily.

Temperance: I will limit my weekday television to one hour per night.

Tomorrow, the Plank Challenge!

[ETA: My starting weight is 235. I'm not too concerned with losing weight (more on that later), I'm just curious. I'm not weighing myself this month, so I'll post an update, along with before and after pictures, at the end.]

No comments:

Post a Comment